Don’t wait ! ACT NOW
- Have you recently hired employees ?
- Are you planning on hiring new employees ?
- Have you recently purchased new equipment for your business ?
Download the San Diego Regional EZ Business Registration form and submit NOW.
An Enterprise Zone is a geographically designated, economically depressed area in which businesses can receive several substantial state tax breaks and other benefits. Enterprise Zones were created in California to stimulate business investments in areas where they are traditionally slow, and to increase job opportunities in areas of high unemployment. San Diego is home to one of 42 Enterprise Zones statewide. Vist the San Diego Regional Enterprise Zone Website.
- San Diego Regional Enterprise Zone: Established in 2006, is a regional economic development program incorporating portions of the City of San Diego’s Third, Fourth, Seventh and Eighth Council Districts, a significant portion of the City of Chula Vista and the majority of the City of National City.
- Conditionally approved January 2007 – designation date of 10/15/06
- Final Designation – pending completion of Environmental Impact Report
The major benefits of the Enterprise Zone Program are the tax savings on California Business income tax. These include:
- Sales or Use Tax Credit: A tax credit against the purchase of new manufacturing, assembly, data processing or communications equipment equivalent to the amount of sales or use tax, or up to $1.55 million annually.
- Hiring Credit: A tax credit on up to 50 percent of the wages to qualified new employees over a five-year period (up to 50 percent in the first year, 40 percent in the second year, etc.). This credit could exceed $37,000 per eligible employee.
- Accelerated Depreciation Deduction: The option to accelerate depreciation on business property. A business may treat 40 percent of the cost of qualified property as a business expense in the first year it is placed into service for a maximum deduction of $20,000 per year, whichever is smaller.
- Net Interest Deduction for Lenders: Allows lenders a deduction on the net interest earned from loans made to Enterprise Zone businesses. Qualified loans include business loans, mortgages and loans from noncommercial sources.
Other advantages include:
- Job referral service that can be used to find, at no cost, qualified employees whose wages can be claimed as tax credits
- Development permit expediting and assistance (San Diego)
- Reduction and/or waiver of certain development fees (San Diego)
- Tax savings for Enterprise Zone employees
- Access to specialized technical and financial assistance programs.
The City of National City’s Enterprise Zone Record
- 104 vouchers issued to National City companies for tax years 2004 and 2005.
- 2006 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
- 2007 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
- 2008 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
- 2009 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
- 2010 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
- 2011 Q2 Voucher Activity Report (Click here)
Over 90% of National City business quality for the Enterprise Zone tax credits. If the current expansion application submitted to the California Department of Housing and Community Development is approved, it is expected that nearly 99% of National City’s commercial and industrial areas will qualify for the state tax credits.
Enterprise Zone Business Highlights
San Diego Leather
New Leaf Biofuel
Marine Group Boat Works
Hawes Construction Co.