A CLASS OUTSIDE MACHINIST -SDCA IN SAN DIEGO, CA AT AUSTAL
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Diploma/GED or comparable trade experience; comparable trade experience is defined as 5 or more years of experience working in the applicable trade, 2years of experience in shipbuilding, or education in the trade comparable to apprenticeship or 1 year minimum work experience as a B-class outside machinist at Austal.
- Demonstrated knowledge of shaft alignment techniques including laser alignment systems and dial indicator alignment processes.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of machining procedures,
- Strong mechanical aptitude required
- Knowledge of ship terminology
- Proven ability to interpret engineering drawings
- Demonstrated ability to safely operate all fixed and non-fixed machinery
- Ability set up machinery to meet flatness tolerance requirements
- Demonstrated ability to interpret job specifications
- Ability to perform work on marine vessels.
- Must be able to follow directions and work with limited supervision.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and measure using the metric system•
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Proven problem solving abilities
- Must be able to travel to off-site work locations
- Must follow Austal Off-Site Temporary Assignment Policy (SUP270)