Nonprofit Forum #5: Resiliency Road Map: Build Socio-Economic Power in Communities of Color
On behalf of the National City Chamber of Commerce, we invite you to participate in our upcoming Non-Profit Forum #5 on July 9, 2020. This convening will be held via ZOOM.
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
“Resiliency Road Map: Lessons Learned, Leadership Demands, and How to Build Socio-Economic Power in Communities of Color”
Time Topic Organization Speakers 10:05 AM Welcome & Intros National City Chamber of Commerce Jacqueline Reynoso, President/ CEO 10:10 AM Resiliency in Action ARTS James Halliday, Executive Director 10:15 AM Equity Task Force City of National City Mayor Alejandra Sotelo-Solis, City of National City 10:20 AM Representation and Importance of US Census NALEO Educational Foundation
Arturo Vargas, CEO 10:25 AM Regional Collaboration & Resiliency Planning
SANDAG Hasan Ikhrata, Executive Director 10:30 AM COVID-19 Impact on Brown and Black Communities and Response Demands SANDAG Ray Major, Chief Economist 10:40 AM Resilient Leadership and Power of Nonprofits to Institutionalize Change USD Nonprofit & Philanthropic Institute
Dr. Emily Young and Laura Deitrick 10:45 AM Inclusive Economic Development
Spanish Speaking Communities Initiative
Steve De Jesus,
Community Affairs Specialist, San Francisco Region
10:50 AM Education 2.0, Child Care, and Lifestyle Changes.
National City Elementary Teacher’s Association Christina Benson, President
11:00 AM How a Bill Becomes Law and How to Impact Policy
California State Assembly Assemblymember Shirley Weber 11:10 AM PANELIST Q&A OPEN FORUM 11:20 AM Participant Check In Nonprofits
- Lesson Learned to improve capacity to respond
- One Recommendation to Improve Systems Approach
- Where do you see yourselves in 1 year
11:30 AM Active Policies / Projects/ Programs OPEN FORUM Address needs of Communities of Color in San Diego 11:40 AM Gaps and Opportunities OPEN FORUM
- Economic Empowerment
- Political Representation
11:50 Closing Remarks National City Chamber of Commerce Jacqueline Reynoso, President/ CEO
Nonprofit Forum Goals:
1. Convene local nonprofit organizations on a quarterly basis to exchange ideas and share best practices. We aim to coordinate resources to help advance the City's Strategic Goals and Objectives in Economic Development, Sustainability, Health & Wellness, Affordable Housing, Education, Workforce Development, and Civic Engagement.
2. Serve the purpose of an ad-hoc advisory board to the City Council, providing analysis, data, and testimony to help inform decisions on policy directives.
3. Serve as a vehicle to promote civic engagement and create a steady pipeline of residents to serve on local and regional boards and commissions.
- Set Priority Project(s) Annually
- Work collaboratively to support shared initiative(s)
- Implement Accountability Metrics
- Set Measurable Outcomes
- Report Back on Progress
- Celebrate Accomplishments
- Promote National City - Together We Can
Participants should come prepared with:
Commitment to work together and learn from each other to effectuate change in our community.
"Progress Through Collaboration"