RECREATION SPECIALIST (Temporary/Part-Time)
Under general supervision, perform specific or specialized recreation work at an assigned playground, recreational area, or community center; assist in leading fitness stations and activities, and perform related duties as required. This part-time position is scheduled to work approximately 10-19 hours per week and may require weekend and/or holiday work.
- Plans, organizes, and conducts groups or classes in specific activities, such as music, dance, dramatics, arts and crafts, team and individual sports, and various other social and recreational programs.
- Develop various activity schedules as needed cooperatively with staff and supervisor.
- Directs and maintains discipline in indoor and outdoor play areas.
- Observes necessary precautions to secure the safety of recreation participants and spectators and renders first aid in cases of minor injury.
- Maintains records and assists in submission of reports.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Enrollment in an accredited junior college, college, or university preferred.
- Experience working in a municipal recreation program is highly desirable.
Knowledge and Ability:
- Specialized knowledge of objectives and methods of recreation programs requiring a degree of knowledge and skill not normally expected of a general Recreation Leader.
- Knowledge of principles and techniques of planning group recreational activities.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to maintain effective relations with staff and the public.