Licensed Vocational Nurse (San Diego)
Full Time: Monday to Friday
Hours: 8am to 5pm
On Call: None
Under direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or provider performs routine patient care, excluding administration of IV medications, as directed by San Ysidro Health policies and procedures in a medical office or clinic setting.
- Upholds San Ysidro Health’s Policies and Procedures, Core Values and competencies and applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Performs routine patient care functions as prescribed by licensed health care providers following established clinical protocols and policies and procedures within defined scope of education, training and responsibilities.
- Performs data collection focusing on physiologic, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual and cognitive status; also nutrition, pain, patient/family education, family involvement and patient advocacy.
- Completes chart preparation and management for scheduled patients.
- Delegates appropriately and coordinates duties/activities of health care team members.
- Follows SYH process for communicating patient test results and follow-up.
- Interviews patients, measures vital signs, and other pertinent information as required by specific clinic.
- Implements patient education techniques such as: health coaching and teach back to support self-management. Identifies patient/family learning needs and acts to meet them.
- Documents pertinent patient information, nursing procedures and patient responses in EHR, following established SYH guidelines and maintaining patient confidentiality.
- Prepares treatment rooms and patients for examination.
- Applies principles of aseptic technique and infection control as directed by the Infection Control policy and procedures.
- Performs point of care testing, including but not limited to urine tests, pregnancy tests, A1C, and others as directed.
- Assists the physician with therapeutic and diagnostic patient care functions which may require sterile technique, wound care, urine catheter insertion/removal, wound care, inhalation treatments, removal or application of dressings, EKG, visual testing, and audiometric testing.
- May hold clamps or retractors, sponge vascular areas, and pass instruments as specifically directed by the physician.
- Handles clinic use medication inventories and orders and replenishes medical supplies, medications, and materials throughout the day as needed. Maintains clinic inventory logs.
- Prepares and administers medications, excluding IV medications, as directed by physician order and in accordance to SYH policy and procedure.
- Participates and responds, when assigned to clinical emergency codes.
- Autoclave: oversight of process to ensure the cleaning, processing, sterilizing and checking of instruments is in compliance to meet audit and infection control requirements.
- Immunization coordination: oversight of clinic’s daily routine workflow, excursion reporting process and emergency vaccine management plan.
- Utilizes effective communication methods and skills, following lines of authority as appropriate.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and applies safety principles as identified by San Ysidro Health.
- Demonstrates knowledge of legal issues, including patient confidentiality and risk management in all aspects of patient care and unit functioning.
- Ensures the clinical area is audit prepared by completing monthly Quality Assurance packet and addressing deficiencies.
- Participates in unit and department Performance and Quality Improvement activities.
- Provides assistance with nursing schedule and demonstrates flexibility in the resolution of staffing issues; demonstrates flexibility when floating to other units upon requests.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Customer Service/ Patient-Centered Care
- Practices customer service standards as defined by SYH and specified clinic.
- Anticipates the customer's needs, takes proactive steps to meet those needs, by listening and taking responsibility within scope to ensure issues are resolved.
- Promptly responds to alarms and patient requests.
- Facilitates the customer's ability to utilize resources.
- Assures a clean, orderly, and functional work environment.
- Effective team member who is adaptable, cooperative, and willing to assist others.
- Works collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
- Manages difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance.
- Takes accountability for own actions.
- Actively participates in departmental professional development activities.
- Adheres to Attendance Policy.
- Preferred: A (minimum) of 1 year of experience as a Licensed Vocational Nurse.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Graduate of an accredited Licensed Vocational Nursing program.
- Current license to practice as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in California.
- Current BLS for Healthcare Provider CP